ENCOUNTERS PREMIERS THIS SATURDAY
This month I gained a new position as Co-Director of Encounters.
Three Kinect cameras 5 metres in the sky, run around beneath and interact with visuals, sound, lighting and hourly performances.
Encounters is a partnership between Microsoft's Social NUI Lab and Victorian College of the Arts.
2014 in Review
- I graduated my degree in Contemporary Music (Interactive Composition) from the Victorian College of the Arts!
- I went to NYC and LA, and visited amazing artists, studios and galleries, collaborated with composers from the New School and Yale, got master classes from amazing composers, and saw heaps of fantastic art.
- I curated the Game Art Melbourne Exhibition
- I co-directed the Holograph Unconference, not about games.
- I spoke at game development conferences; PAX Aus, Freeplay Parallels, DiGRAA, Holograph, and had my work shown at the Australasian Computer Music Conference
CTRL_Coda was a project Amani Naseem and I started in June 2014. The project is an exhibition of five games designed for and with five musical instruments, concentrating on equal design in composition and gameplay. There is also a concert format where all five instruments are hooked up to the one "performance game".
We exhibited at ACMI as part of the Freeplay Independent Games Festival Parallels Showcase in October. We then performed a 30 minute installation of the concert format in November.
CTRRL_Coda is heading to You Are Here in Canberra during March, and finishing up with a couple more exhibition and discussions in Melbourne.
Amani and I hope to wrap up the CTRL_Coda iteration of our "music and gameplay equal in design" exploration in June this year. Then continue our research in other ways!